1. As Mayor of Bangor, Mr. Willey established the Bangor – Saint John Sister City Relationship. (Mayor 1983 – 1984; 1986 – 1987; City Council 1981 – 1987.)
2. As Mayor and City Councilor in Bangor, Mr. Willey worked and supported the development of Bangor International Airport and the Free Trade Zone.
3. As Mayor of Bangor, Mr. Willey has greeted international representatives, and attended trade and development conferences.
4. As the Governor’s Representative to Canada, Mr. Willey has worked to enhance trade between Maine and Canada, he has attended International Conferences on trade and development including the U.S. – Canada Free Trade Agreement. (Served in that capacity since 1990.)
5. As the Governor’s Representative to Canada, Mr. Willey has brought greetings to our maritime neighbors, representing good-will and fostering strong communications.
6. As the Governor’s Representative to Canada, Mr. Willey has supported the implementation of an international mental health forum using the broadcast media as a support element.
7. As the Governor’s Representative to Canada, Mr. Willey has continued to support international exchanges including students, athletics, cultural and diverse related programs.
8. Mr. Willey was also appointed to the International Commerce Advisory Board for the State of Maine. (Appointed in 1989.)
9. Mr. Willey has also been involved with the granting of H-2 Visa’s for skilled Canadian workers to aid the development of Maine’s high-tech wood products industry.
10. Mr. Willey has worked with Maine’s Congressional delegation in implementing many of the programs as outlined.
11. Served as a delegate from Maine, (appointed by the Governor), to the New England Governors – Eastern Canadian Premiers Conference (dealing with a wide range of International Commerce and related issues).
12. Member, State of Maine Restructuring Commission (appointed by Governor) (Commission reviewed all State functions with recommendation for restructuring State Government; economic trade related issues were an important part of the Commission’s work).